Jumpsuit fits TTS. Can use code CLAIRE15
Hi guys!! I thought I’d do a little Q&A so I could answer some of your most FAQ and you could get to know me a little better. Before diving in, I just wanted to say thank you for being here. Because of you and your support, I get to do what I love every day and for that I am so grateful. I hope that my blog and content help inspire and motivate you to live your best life!!
- Where do you live? My husband, Stephen, and I live in Raleigh NC! We’ve been here for about 5 years, and absolutely love it. I grew up in Kansas City (Leawood) and moved to Wilmington when I was a junior in highschool, and ended up in Raleigh/Durham working as a nurse. We bought our first house in Raleigh about 2 years ago.
- How old are you? 31!
- How did you and Stephen meet? We met on the dating app Hinge! He was actually my first date on the app and I left that date and told one of my friends that I was going to marry him (psycho status 😉 ) We got engaged 8 months later, and got married June 2017. We met when we were 26, and then married at 28.
- How tall are you/what size do you typically wear? I’m 5’9” and typically wear smalls, except for sports bras which I wear a medium. In jeans I’m a 28 (hope this helps for when I share try-ons!)
- What does Stephen do? When we first met (2015), Stephen was doing outside sales for an electrical distributor. While I was working as a nurse (and my blog was in the beginning stages), we decided that he would go back to school for his Bachelor’s in Business. He had an associates degree prior and wanted to finish his degree for himself. He did the majority of his classes online, and worked part-time for the first year. After that initial year, we decided it made more sense for him to work with me on my brand vs. an outside part-time job. So for the last several years, we have worked pretty closely together and he has helped me with things like taking my photos, video editing, taxes, payroll, etc. Since last year though (2019), he started on his own business of creating his own energy drink. So for all of last year and this year he has been working on that while simultaneously helping me. We hope to launch the energy drink this year!
- Where did you go to school? I got my first bachelor’s degree at UNC Greensboro, and then I went to UNC Wilmington for my bachelor’s in Nursing. Stephen originally went to NIU (Northern Illinois) and then finished his bachelor’s at ECU (East Carolina University).
- Do you still work as a nurse? I worked as an ICU nurse for about 4 years (it was my first job out if nursing school), and stepped away from the bedside in January (well technically my last shift was NYE 2019 lol). You can read all about that decision here. Anything else nursing related can be found here.
- Do you miss being a nurse? Part of it, yes. I worked in critical care, so I miss being able to use that “part of my brain.” However, I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t happier on a day to day basis being away from the bedside. Nursing is a great career for so many reasons, but it is also incredibly draining –physically, emotionally and mentally. It took me a long time to admit that I just loved this job (blogging) more, and that’s okay. I still have my license though and if I ever went back I would do something in aesthetics (like injectables). Some have asked if I would consider going back to nursing now with the coronavirus. I am our family’s sole income and I still have responsibilities and contracts to uphold for this business, so even if I wanted to go back, my time there would be very limited. However, I’ve spoken with my old ICU and told them if they were in dire need, I would go back to help in whatever way I could.
- What is your enneagram type? 3! Achiever. Ps. If you haven’t taken the personality test you definitely should! It’s crazy accurate and very insightful in learning about your personality. Plus if you know other people’s numbers it can be really helpful to know how they operate (whether they are someone in your family or a co-worker).
- How would you describe your style? Hmmm great question! I don’t know exactly how to sum it up but the words that come to mind are casual with a little edge. Is that a thing? LOL. I wouldn’t say that I’m not “girly” or “dressy” but I really only lean towards outfits like that for special occasions.
If you aren’t subscribed, I just sent out one newsletter a week (every Wednesday) and share tips, early access to content plus discount codes, and my current favorite products!
11. Favorite thing about NC? I love Raleigh in particular because it’s a big enough city where there is plenty to do but not so big where traffic is terrible 24/7 or cost of living is outrageous. I also love that the weather is pretty great year round (it get’s colder in the winter like 30-40s but by March we are having 60-70 degree days). Plus, we’re driving distance to the beach and the mountains. So you get the best of both worlds without necessarily having to fly somewhere.
12. What do you tell you hairstylist for cut and color? Find all of that info here!
13. How did you transition from nursing to blogging? I worked as a nurse full-time for the first year while working on my blog. Basically, any free day from the hospital I’d work on content the entire day. Once I gained a little traction with my blog and was making a little income from it, I cut down my hours a little at the hospital. Instead of working full-time with 3 12 hour shifts a week (.9), I’d work 3 12 hour shifts one week, and then just 2 12 hour shifts the following week (.75). After 2 years of this, I went PRN (so just 4 shifts a month) and did that for about 8 months. I then completely stepped away and focused on my blog. I share more tips on how to transition away from any full-time job to a side-hustle in this post. Also, any blogging related questions you can find a ton of posts here.
14. Where did you get Oz and Fritz from? Oz and Fritz are both golden doodles, actually from the same parents! Just different litters. We got them from this breeder.
15. Do you use any teeth whitener? I actually don’t! Years ago I used crest white strips but haven’t had my teeth ever professionally whitened.
16. How do you pronounce your last name? Shared in my “About Me” highlight on IG!
17. Do we want kinds? Probably one day! Honestly, I’m not the most maternal person so having kids isn’t at the “top of my list.” However, over the last year or so it’s something that we’ve thought about more. We feel like we probably will eventually but aren’t in any rush 🙂
18. Favorite vacation spot? Stephen and I would both probably say Italy. I’ve been there are few times and both of us went together last summer and it’s just the best! Locally we love going to Charleston, SC and Blowing Rock, NC.
19. How do you stay motivated? I feel like right now, this is an especially relevant question but in general each day I ask myself, “How do I want to show up for myself today?” “What is the type of person that I want to be?” When I asked myself those things, I realize I don’t want to be a person who lets their feelings dictate their day. Meaning, we aren’t always going to be motivated or feel like doing something. But again, I asked myself how I want to show up for myself? That doesn’t mean that everyday I feel 100% or get everything checked off my to-do list, but it does mean that I make an effort. I shared more about it in this post here and saved on my “Inspo + Growth” highlight.
Thank you again for following along on this journey!! I truly hope that my blog and content gives you some value and brightens your day!! If there is anything else you want to know, just ask below! xxC