Hey guys! As you know, we went through the process of getting our home ready for sale and then decided not to sell it! If you missed it, see my “moving update” highlight for the latest update 😉 Regardless, we did several things to get our home prepped for selling which I figured would be helpful to share in case you’re getting ready to list your home. Even if you’re not planning on selling, these are things I wish we would have done long ago to just help give the house a refresh! So without further ado, here are the six things you can do:
1. Organize and declutter This one is pretty obvious, but even in areas like the garage that you don’t think anyone may care about can go a long way in the overall presentation. For example, I ended up just getting some containers for our gym equipment so things were more organized and then cleaned out random junk in the garage that we hadn’t used for months!
2. Update light fixtures If you have any outdated light fixtures (like we did), swapping these out can really help the entire space feel more modern and fresh. They don’t have to be expensive either! All of ours were from Hope Depot and Lowes and under $200 a piece.
3. Get upholstered furniture and carpet professionally cleaned
4. Reupholster any outdated fabrics In our case, we had window seat cushions in a couple rooms that we hadn’t reupholstered yet. So we went ahead and updated those with fabric that matched the window seat area downstairs that we updated last year (see below).
5. Power wash house and clean out gutters
6. Swap out outdated hardware In areas like your kitchen and bathroom, new hardware can go a long way. You all know that we had updated our kitchen prior to listing to the hardware (and everything else) had been updated, but when we sold our last house we made sure to update the kitchen cabinet hardware to something more modern before listing.